Saturday, November 10, 2012

First Look: Windows Phone 7.8 On a Lumia 900

First Look: Windows Phone 7.8 On a Lumia 900:

I think people who bought a pre 7.8 device are foolish if they thought (or rather expected) an upgrade to windows phone 8.  Not that they are wrong in their assumption but mostly misguided.  If you haven't been in software development for sometime it's easier to think that changing hardware should not be a reason to change the software.  Therein lies the misguidance.  More often than  not, if you deviate from your regular hardware requirements it becomes harder to keep multiple version in sync using the same software core.  Believe me I don't just say this because I read about it but because I have had to deal with it.  Give that, when I purchased, no less switched from Verizon to ATT, my Nokia Lumia 900 I did so with the very thought that I might not be able to upgrade to the latest windows phone version, namely Windows Phone 8.  That did not persuade me one bit.  I needed a phone not only to test and write apps against but one that was more consistent than the HTC that I had purchased years earlier.  With that in mind I knew of the rumors of WP8 and possibly not supporting older hardware platforms yet I still forged ahead.  And here I am knowing that my phone cannot be upgraded to the latest but some variant (7.8) and still I'm satisfied because the concept (metro-esque) and the stability it has given me will sustain me until I am eligible for the next upgrade.  However, given the choice and very small price tag I would definitely upgrade to WP8, without having been left out in the dust as many proclaim.  Probably because I keep current with my WP news rather than by word of mouth.  However, this must be better explained in the future to avoid confusion for those who don't  keep up with latest news or don't know that there is something else in the pipeline.


'via Blog this'

No comments:

Post a Comment