Monday, September 20, 2010

CDMA A No Go For WP7

Until recently I was sporting a xv6800, the Verizon Wireless version of the HTC Titan, however, the phone has been put through the ringer and freezes quite often.  I decided to retire it and activate my old feature phone, the LGVX8300.  Clearly it's less capable, no touch screen a paltry 1MP camera, very little on-board storage, etc.  But, it's a champ when it comes to battery life and making calls.

I have been eligible for an upgrade for quite some time.  When it first came around, my upgrade, I was anxiously awaiting the Samsung Omnia II.  I picked one up, but after the 30 day trial a beast of a phone came through the rumor mill, the HTC HD2, so I quickly sent the Omnia back.  However, while waiting for the HD2, Microsoft decided, maybe not suddenly, to announce that Windows Mobile would be no more.  Instead they were to introduce a new OS, Windows Phone 7 (after some naming experimentation).

Since that time I have been diligently converting my Texas Holdem Calculator, THC On Source Forge, from Windows Mobile 6 (.NET using C#) to Windows Phone 7 (Silverlight using C#).  However, I guess this was announced a while ago, recently I've learned that WP7 will not be coming to Verizon wireless when it rolls out later this year.  This is extremely disappointed since I have waited nearly two years to upgrade to a phone I actually like.  Don't get me wrong Android seems decent but since I'm a .NET developer, I have dabbled in Java ME but it's lack luster, I prefer to develop using that platform especially since mobile development is my part-time hobby.

It seems I have two options, suck it up and wait a little longer or jump ship to a provider that uses GSM, namely T-mobile or AT&T.  I guess the third option is to skip WP7 entirely and go for the iPhone or an Android based device, but as mentioned earlier I like to write apps, even if I'm not making money.

For now jumping ship is not an option as my family members, who I share a plan with, still have contracts.  I guess I'll have to wait until then to make a final decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment